Thursday, May 1, 2014

New Beginnings

I've decided to start this blog because I usually blog about my stresses and struggles on my tumblr, but I'm going to start posting here instead. Too many personal people from real life follow me on there and sometimes I feel as though they judge me for my inner feelings about a lot of personal things that I might say. However, I'm so excited to start blogging on this and I can't wait to share my personal experiences, thoughts, stories and of course, graduation!

I have no doubt that I will be able to keep up with posting. If you are reading this, don't worry because there will always be constant posts!

A little bit about me and my journey finding Occupational Therapy:
I knew that I was always going to be within the healthcare field or a Veterinarian. However, the idea of being a vet quickly went out the door due to it's incredibly competitive admissions (more competitive than medical school!) so I decided I wanted to be an OB/GYN for the longest time, starting high school,  I believe? I started college as a biology major thinking I had to become a doctor... Freshman year of college was a really low time in my life and everything you've heard about bad room mates was the epitome of my college experience, even up until today! I honestly did not enjoy the courses I was taking, I was failing miserably... I did not want to be a biology major. Then, I switched to nursing and I did a lot better, I had gotten all A's in my pre requisites, however I felt as though being a nurse would be personally unfulfilling to me.

In the midst of not knowing what to pursue, I went to career services at my school to figure out what I resources I can be given to find the major I wanted to pursue. The advisor had given me a site called myplan.com, with the school's access code. It's a GREAT website. Basically, the site gives you various surveys based on your personality, characteristics, skills, etc (questions such as: would you rather build an orphanage or construct a building type questions) and in the end it gives you a master list of degrees that is offered at every education level from associates to PhD. I scored pretty high with Occupational Therapy, but also with OB/GYN, teacher, SLP, and PT. I found out that OT was offered as a 5 year BS/MS at my school (although, I had several set backs in which now I am pursuing it in 6) and the rest is history!

I named this blog T-3, OT because I am going into the third year next year, also known as upper division. 2017 is the year I will graduate and I can't wait to discuss my journey with you all (or none, haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment